Are you trying to maximize your money as a travel nurse? Prepping these 5 simple meals from, a pretty life in the suburbs, will help you save time and cash. Each recipe is under $20, yet full of flavor. Spice up your life today!
- 2 cups shredded cooked chicken (feel free to use Rotisserie Chicken)
- 4 cups shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 10 small soft corn tortillas
- 3 tbsp butter
- 3 tbsp all purpose flour
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 (4 ounce) cans diced green chillies
- fresh cilantro for garnish
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees and Grease a 9 x 13 casserole dish with butter. Set aside.
- Wrap the stack of tortillas up in tin foil, and place them the 350 degree F oven for 10 minutes to let them warm up.
- While the tortillas are in the oven, combine the shredded chicken and 1 1/2 cups of shredded cheese in a large bowl.
- Once the tortillas are warmed up, divide the chicken mixture between the 10 tortillas. Roll up each tortilla and place them folded side down in the greased baking dish. Set aside.
- In a saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat.
- Whisk in the flour and cook for about 1 minute.
- Then add the chicken broth and whisk, until the mixture is thick and bubbling.
- Remove the mixture from the heat, then stir in the chilis. Let the mixture cool for about 5 minutes, then stir in the sour cream. If you stir in the sour cream when the mixture is too hot, it will curdle.
- Once the sour cream has been stirred in, pour the sauce over the enchiladas.
- Sprinkle on the remaining 3 cups of shredded cheese and bake for 25 minutes.
- After the 25 minutes, turn your oven to broil and broil for about 3-4 minutes, to get the cheese browned and bubbling.
- 1 (20 oz) package of shredded potatoes
- 1/4 cup melted butter
- 8 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cups whole milk
- 3 green onions, chopped (set aside about 1 tbsp for garnish)
- 1 small onion, minced
- 1/2 green pepper, minced
- 1/2 red pepper, minced
- 1/2 tsp salt
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 cups chopped ham, cooked bacon or crumbled cooked breakfast sausage
- 3 1/2 cups shredded cheese of your choice
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees F.
- If you are using bacon or sausage, cook these first until browned and then drain.
- To a 9 x 13 baking dish, add the 1/4 cup of melted butter, and spread it out over the bottom of the baking dish.
- Layer the shredded potatoes on the bottom of the dish.
- In a separate large bowl, whisk together the eggs and milk.
- Mix the onions, peppers, salt, pepper and ham, bacon, or sausage.
- Pour the egg mixture over the shredded potatoes and top with cheese.
- Bake for 45 minutes or until it no longer “jiggles” in the center.
- Remove from the oven and let it rest for 10 minutes before serving.
- 3 cups uncooked pasta shells
- 1 lb ground turkey or chicken
- 2 tsp oil
- 1 small onion (minced)
- 1 garlic clove (minced)
- 1 can tomato paste (6 oz)
- 1/4 cup water (more if needed)
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- salt & fresh ground pepper
- 2 cups shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 1/2 cup crushed tortilla chips
- 1 1/2 cups sliced grape tomatoes
- 1 cup tortilla chips
- chopped green onion
- sour cream
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- Cook the shell noodles according to package directions, and set aside.
- In a large, oven proof skillet, warm up the oil over medium heat, then add the ground turkey. Cook for about 3 minutes.
- Add the onion and garlic and cook until the turkey is fully cooked and the onions are tender.
- Stir in tomato paste, water, chili powder, salt and pepper.
- Simmer for about 10 minutes, stirring often. If the sauce is too sticky, slowly add more water.
- Add the cooked pasta noodles, and mix well. Then top with cheese and crushed tortilla chips..
- Place the skillet in the oven and bake for about 20 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and bubbling
- Top with whatever sounds good to you!
- 1 1/2 lbs ground beef
- 1 onion (chopped)
- 1 red bell pepper (chopped)
- 1 carrot (chopped)
- 1 (680 mL) can tomato sauce
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tbsp white vinegar (or apple cider vinegar)
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1/4 tsp salt
- fresh ground pepper
- In a skillet, brown the beef with onion, red pepper and carrot. Cook until the beef is no longer pink.
- Drain the beef, then transfer to the crockpot.
- Add the remaining ingredients to the crockpot, and mix well.
- Cover and cook in the crockpot for 6 hours on low, or 3 hours on high.
- If you can, give the mixture a stir during cooking.
- Serve over buns.
- 12 dinner rolls
- 1 1/2 cups pizza sauce
- 36 slices small pepperoni ((more if you like))
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
Garlic Butter Topping
- 1/4 cup melted butter
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 2 tsp dried parsley
- 3 tbsp parmesan cheese
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees.
- In a small bowl mix together the melted butter, garlic powder, oregano, parsley and parmesan cheese. Set aside.
- Cut the dinner rolls in half horizontally. Then lay the bottom halves in a 9×13 baking dish.
- Spread the pizza sauce on each half and layer each bun with ~3 slices of pepperoni.
- Sprinkle on the shredded cheese and add the tops of the buns.
- Brush each top with HALF OF the melted butter mixture.
- Cover with tin foil and bake for 25 minutes
- After 25 minutes, remove the foil and bake for 5 more minutes. The buns are done when the tops of the buns are golden, and the cheese is melted and gooey.
- Brush the remaining butter over the tops of the buns, and serve immediately.
So, if you’re looking to save some money the next few weeks, we have you covered. Try these 5 recipes for healthy, delicious, and money-conscious meals. If you need more recipe ideas, just sign up for our email! We send weekly nurse-friendly meals straight to your inbox. Click Here.
Visit our website www.ethosmedicalstaffing.com for more helpful resources!